Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

A Man's Friends


David, a man after God’s own heart, knew how to choose his friends. Psalm 26 gives us a good picture of his friends and “non-friends.”

His friends were:
            First and foremost, his God (verses 1-3)
            God’s house (v. 8)
            Other believers (v. 12)

These were people he didn’t hang out with:
            Vain persons (v. 4)
            Dissenters (v. 4)
            A bunch of evildoers (v. 5)
            The wicked (v. 5)
            Sinners (v. 9)
            Violent men (v. 9)
            Men out to do mischief (v. 10)
            Men who accept bribes (v. 10)

I love these verses, which so clearly express David’s love for God and for personal holiness:
            I have walked in thy truth (v. 3b).
            I will wash mine hands in innocency: so will I compass thine altar, O LORD:
                That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all 
                thy wondrous works (vs. 6-7).
            But as for me, I will walk in mine integrity (v. 11a).
            My foot standeth in an even place: in the congregations will I bless the 
                LORD (v.12).

Imagine young men today making these statements! Thankfully, some do.

1 comment:

  1. A very good study. I don't think I had pulled some of these thoughts from the passage before.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts.