Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Saturday, January 12, 2013

What Is the Last Thing That Jesus Did?


I was reading at the end of one of the gospels today, and I realized something new. (Right. It was there all the time, but it was new to me.)

If I were to ask you, “What is the last thing Jesus did on earth?” what would you answer?

Before today, my answer would have been, “He gave the Great Commission to His followers.” Okay, that’s almost the last thing He did. (I give myself partial credit.) See Matthew 28:18-20; Mark 16:15; Luke 24:47-48 and John 20:21.

Today, I was reading this passage, Luke 24:50-51. It’s about the very last thing Jesus did before—and while—He ascended into heaven.

And he led them out as far as to Bethany,
and he lifted up his hands, and blessed them.
And it came to pass, while he blessed them,
he was parted from them, and carried up into heaven.

Doesn’t that encourage your heart? It does mine.

Jesus, yes, left his followers with the mandate to reach the world, baptize, and disciple, but He went to heaven while blessing them!

I admit it; I teared up in praise to God for Jesus blessing His followers as He went up into the clouds.

He is interested in our service, but He is just as interested in blessing us.

I heard an old country preacher who said, “If that doesn’t do something for your heart, your heart’s broke.” (Yes, I know the English is faulty, but the meaning is there.) If you love God, if you are a follower of Jesus Christ, you’ll be encouraged that Jesus left us with His blessing.

If this encourages you, too, and you’d like to share it, please leave a comment. 

4 comments:

  1. Tienes razón muchas veces leemos la Biblia y no nos damos cuenta de algunas cosas a no ser que lo releamos y entonces lo entenderemos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Para mí, fue de mucha bendición que Jesucristo fue al cielo mientras bendijo a la gente. ¡Que bonito! (For me, it was a huge blessing that Jesus went to heaven while blessing the people. How wonderful!)

      Delete

Please share your thoughts.