Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, September 9, 2013

I Believe


“I believe that a life lived for music is an existence spent wonderfully, and this is what I have dedicated my life to.” (Luciano Pavarotti, great tenor opera singer)

I remember a popular song called “I Believe.” The words were:
I believe for every drop of rain that falls a flower grows,
I believe that somewhere in the darkest night a candle glows.
I believe for everyone who goes astray, someone will come to show the way.
I believe, Oh, I believe.
I believe above the storm the smallest prayer, will still be heard.
I believe that someone in that great somewhere hears every word.
Every time I hear a newborn baby cry, or touch a leaf or see the sky,
Then I know why I believe.*

The actress Audrey Hepburn famously said, “I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. . . . I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.”
There are also all kinds of religious creeds out there.

You can believe what you want to. 

But . . .

What is really worth believing? What outlives flowers, music, candles, and pink? What really and truly is something you can build your life on?

This is what I believe and some of the Scriptures that tell why:
  • I believe in the divine inspiration of the Bible. All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works (2 Timothy 3:16-17).
  • I believe that God created the world. In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth (Genesis 1:1). I believe God created the world and everything in it in six twenty-four hour days. Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant. It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed (Exodus 31:16-17).
  • I believe that God made man and woman in His image and equal in value, though different in roles. So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them (Genesis 1:27). And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him (Genesis 2:18).
  • I believe that Jesus Christ was born of the virgin Mary, became flesh and lived on earth. And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God (Luke 1:35). And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth (John 1:14).
  • I believe that Jesus was sinless and that He paid the price for the sins of mankind by the shedding of His blood on the cross. Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed (1 Peter 2:24). For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit (1 Peter 3:18).
  • I believe that Jesus was buried and rose bodily from the tomb on the third day after His crucifixion. And as they (the women) were afraid, and bowed down their faces to the earth, they (the angels) said unto them, Why seek ye the living among the dead? He is not here (in the tomb), but is risen: remember how he spake unto you when he was yet in Galilee, Saying, The Son of man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again.(Luke 24:5-7)
  • I believe only Jesus Christ can save souls from sin. Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me (John 14:6).
  • I believe people are born again by the Holy Spirit when they accept Jesus as their Savior. But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name (John 1:12).
  • I believe that Jesus came for everyone and that He wants everyone to be saved. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved (John 3:16-17). The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance (2 Peter 3:9).
  • I believe in eternal salvation by the grace of God. For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast (Ephesians 2:8-9). And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand (John 10:28).
  • I believe that every born-again Christian has a life purpose. It is to glorify God in all he does. Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God (1 Corinthians 10:31).

“I know why I believe.” Do you?
_______________________________
*“I Believe” was written in 1953 by Ervin Drake, Irvin Graham, Jimmy Shirl and Al Stillman.

4 comments:

  1. Good post, Lou Ann. It's amazing that people don't take time to think about what they believe and why and what the ramifications are from their beliefs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading. I think it is very important for everyone to have a biblical foundation. Bless you!

      Delete
  2. Amen!!! muy bueno, la persona deberíamos de pensar mas en estas cosas y menos en otras.
    Bendiciones

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts.