Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Head in the Clouds, Feet on the Ground


 
Photo by HRLK


Christians are sometimes accused of being so heavenly minded they’re no earthly good. Sometimes, it’s pretty accurate. They are the guru Christians, always dreaming of the other side. They sit around and think and dream.

I like to think of heaven, too. God gave us a few glimpses, and I’m almost overwhelmed with the beauty. No evil, no sadness, no regrets—only joy; it fills me with anticipation. Who wouldn’t want to go there? Can you imagine it? (I’m not signing up for first in line, you understand! But, I want to go. I desire Jesus.)

See, your head is up in the clouds, too, if only for a minute!

And, here we are—firmly on the ground to live our vapor lives with meaning. We’re here for a purpose: to glorify God, to do His will. Whatever we do, even if it’s washing dishes, we’re to do it as unto the Lord—like a prayer of praise to Him. Even though in the light of eternity, our life is a little whiff, it’s supposed to be a perfume, a fragrance that pleases the Lord.

We’re to be useful to Him.

Did you ever ask yourself how God could possibly want to use you? I’m always encouraged by these verses. For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: That no flesh should glory in his presence. But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord (1 Corinthians 1:26-31). Yep, it’s all about what God does through us, miserable and underserving though we be.

I am always amazed that He should choose to use people to do His work. It’s a humbling thought.

The Bible admonishes, Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest (Ecclesiastes 9:10).

Do it now. Do it with all your might. Work for the Lord. Serve Him.

The Psalmist expressed it this way, Serve the LORD with gladness (Psalm 100:2a). (That word serve means to work for God, to be His servant.)

Jesus said, If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour (John 12:26).

We have two missions:
  1. Bring glory to God in all that we say or do. Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God (1 Corinthians 10:31).
  2. Make disciples. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen (Matthew 28:19-20).


“Only one life, ’twill soon be past,
Only what’s done for Christ will last.” C.T. Studd
Is your head in the clouds again? Are you thinking that serving God means only the “spiritual” things you do? Yes, it’s great to serve in your local church and reach the lost, and work with people for God’s glory. It’s absolutely vital that you have personal time with the Lord, in His Word and in prayer.

Feet on the ground, too. It is also important that you clean your house, wash your dishes, and make your bed. It’s right to spend time playing with your children and being a family. It’s right to make your husband a top priority. And, you need to buy groceries and live.

So, where is the balance? I like this quote from Dr. Bob Jones, Sr., “There is no difference between the secular and sacred, because to the Christian all things are sacred and all ground is holy ground.”

I will sing of mercy and judgment: unto thee, O LORD, will I sing.
I will behave myself wisely in a perfect way.
O when wilt thou come unto me?
I will walk within my house with a perfect heart (Psalm 101:1-2).

Let’s walk within our houses with perfect hearts, and from time to time have our heads also in the clouds, thinking about our final home.

2 comments:

  1. I've heard it said that the best testimony you can be at work is not by witnessing every minute but by doing your job to the best of your ability. Certainly not doing one's job well reflects poorly on one's testimony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I believe constant chatter might not be the way to get the job done. :o) Do ALL to the glory of God--our jobs, witnessing, dishes, and all the rest. Thank you for your comment! God bless you, Barbara.

      Delete

Please share your thoughts.