Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Dealing With an Ugly Phone Call

Photo by: sattva

The phone rings. You pick up and answer. The person on the other end accuses you falsely. The person says negative and untrue things about your family. It’s nasty.

You get off the phone, and you’re shaking.

Now, what do you do?

When this happened to me, the first thing I did was cry. Then, I called my husband. Then, I sat down and opened my Bible.

I read my normal Bible reading plan for the day. Those Scriptures seemed to be tailor-made for that nasty phone call. They were exactly what I needed in that moment. My heartbeat slowed down. My spirit was renewed.

I prayed and thanked God for being there for me, for the answers He gave me, for His Word.

Was it a coincidence that my Bible reading for that day held the remedy for the abusive phone call? No.

I can’t explain how it works, but it’s happened many times. When I have a specific heart need, I go to the Bible—using my normal daily reading plan—and there’s the answer!

The Bible says this about how God knows your need:
  • For your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him (Matthew 6:8b).
  • For all these things do the nations of the world seek after: and your Father knoweth that ye have need of these things (Luke 12:30; similar verse in Matthew 6:32).


This is how God uses His Word in your life:
  • Cleansing from sin. Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word (Psalm 119:9).
  • Keeping you from sinning. Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee (Psalm 119:11).
  • Giving you strength. My soul melteth for heaviness: strengthen thou me according unto thy word (Psalm 119:28).
  • Giving you the words to say. So shall I have wherewith to answer him that reproacheth me: for I trust in thy word (Psalm 119:42).
  • Meeting every need of your heart. For the word of God is quick (alive), and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart (Hebrews 4:12).
  • Giving you hope in a sure thing. I have hoped in thy word (Psalm 119:74b).
  • Guiding. Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path (Psalm 119:105).
  • Giving wisdom in difficult times. Let my cry come near before thee, O LORD: give me understanding according to thy word. (Psalm 119:169. The whole chapter is about the Word of God.)
  • Giving you the means for becoming more like Christ. Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth (John 17:17).
  • Furnishing joy. Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts (Jeremiah 15:16). 


And, the Bible talks about how God defends the vulnerable:
  • He raiseth up the poor out of the dust, and lifteth up the beggar from the dunghill, to set them among princes, and to make them inherit the throne of glory: for the pillars of the earth are the LORD’S, and he hath set the world upon them (1 Samuel 2:8).
  • Because I delivered the poor that cried, and the fatherless, and him that had none to help him (Job 29:12).
  • But I am poor and needy; yet the Lord thinketh upon me: thou art my help and my deliverer; make no tarrying, O my God (Psalm 40:17).
  • A father of the fatherless, and a judge of the widows, is God in his holy habitation (Psalm 68:5).
  • And Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people (Matthew 9:35).
  • For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin (Hebrews 4:15).


God cares for you. He can and will meet your needs.

I’m glad He met my need after that awful phone call. Praise Him!

Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you (1 Peter 5:7).
  

2 comments:

  1. Si que es verdad que cuando tenemos algo desagradable en nuestra vida, si vamos a la Palabra de Dios encontraremos la paz en ella.
    Bendiciones:)

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts.