Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, December 26, 2016

The Emotional Safe Place


Some time ago, I heard a TV conversation about troubled people and the importance of having a “safe place” where they felt comfortable expressing their feelings. It would be non-condemning and nurturing. It would be a place where the people could go and feel accepted and others would listen. The TV show was about the workplace and the importance of emotional equilibrium there.

I’ve been thinking about safe places ever since.* I’d like to approach this idea two ways. We’ll talk about the home and the Lord.

The Home

God designed the home as the foundational safe place for humankind. Even Adam and Eve—the first two people—were given a haven. The Garden of Eden must have been awesome in its beauty. They even had peaceful pets! Until they sinned, the Garden was the place where they walked along and talked to God. They had a perfect life in a perfect place.

Since Adam and Eve’s sin, nothing has been the same, but the family unit is the one that God established: husband, wife, and children. It has always been this way. God blesses the home, and he wants the generations to know His Word and proclaim His glory. Children are nurtured at home. They are given boundaries and sometimes, they’re chastised. Ephesians 5 makes it very clear that the family mirrors Christ and His church. It’s to be mutually loving and considerate, and the family has the same order as God the Father, Son, and the church.

Children need to grow up where they feel secure. They can tell their parents anything, and they are loved. They don’t have to worry about a roof over their heads, a bed to sleep on, or food for their tummies. They are loved, and it is wonderful.

The Lord

The Bible says that God is our safe place. He is our protection and the place we can run to. He’s our shelter and strength and a fortress around us. He provides food and clothing. God helps us when we’re in trouble. He will never leave us. He says He will meet all our needs!
  • The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want (Psalm 23:1).
  • God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble (Psalm 46:1).
  • For thou hast been a shelter for me, and a strong tower from the enemy (Psalm 61:3).
  • Be thou my strong habitation, whereunto I may continually resort: thou hast given commandment to save me; for thou art my rock and my fortress (Psalm 71:3).
  • He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler (Psalm 91:4).
  • My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me (Psalm 144:2).
  • O LORD, my strength, and my fortress, and my refuge in the day of affliction (Jeremiah 16:19a).
  • But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:19).
  • Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? For your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you (Matthew 6:31, 32b, 33).
  • Lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen (Matthew 28:20b).
  • Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee (Hebrews 13:5).

Our safe place is Jesus, who said, Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest (Matthew 11:28).

Do you need rest for your soul?

Do you need a safe place?

Go to Jesus!

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus,
and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead,
thou shalt be saved. For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord
shall be saved (Romans 10:9, 13).

__________________


*Jesus can help anyone with his emotional problems. Of course, some people need counseling and long-term assistance to deal with traumas, addictions, and hurts. A Christian counselor can help.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts.